Saturday, February 08, 2014

In good order

Sorry I haven't blogged anything for the last couple of days. Busy at work and, you know, sleeping and things. But I've now got a phone and internet in my new flat (until now I've been latching on to an occasionally dodgy wifi signal), so everything's just peachy. So I thought this would be a good moment to remind everyone that Order of the Stick is still a great webcomic. I haven't blogged on that subject for quite a while, I'm sure.

Here's an example - in the book "Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales", which you can't read on the internet but you can go and buy, the dashing hero Julio Scoundrél has a second-in-command called Fidel Secundus. It took me ages to get that. Now in the online comic (set many years after that story), Julio's sidekick is a woman who talks about the days when her father was doing her job, and her name is Bandana.

This is the kind of gratuitous, clever silliness that makes me a fan of the comic even after all these years - a little joke that's only comprehensible to people who've bought the book and can put two and two together. Go and read it, from the start! All you need is a vague basic knowledge of how games like Dungeons and Dragons work, and you'll be well rewarded.

No comments: