Wednesday, October 12, 2011

When Captain America throws his mighty shield...

That was the theme tune to the so-bad-it's-good Captain America cartoon in the sixties, with super-limited animation copied directly from the comics. I haven't seen the latest movie, but I bet that cartoon was more fun. And of course the Captain had already been around for a quarter of a century by the time that cartoon was made. He had a Republic movie serial in 1944, and a comic from the start of 1941.

Which makes it all the more groovy that the man who first dreamed Captain America up, Joe Simon, is going to be at the New York Comic Con on Friday. It was his 98th birthday yesterday. That would be a really extremely cool way for me to spend my birthday, if I could afford it and wasn't scared that the US border control people would be suspicious of me if I went there three times in a year.

Still, I'm going to really spend my birthday visiting London with fun people instead of going to work, so yay for me anyway!

5 comments:

Ewan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
What's black and white and dead all over? A corpse reading a newspaper. said...

Music videos? Never heard of them.

Maybe. said...

Is it Othello?

Chris said...

This seems as relevant a place as any to say "Did you know that they have remade Thundercats", kind of expecting you to have known for several months? Apparently it's going out on Cartoon Network over here.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Zoomy said...

Yes, I'm carefully avoiding the new Thundercats completely - I've seen a couple of clips, and I'm quite confident that I'd only be disappointed. I have such a great sentimental attachment to the original series, it's inevitable.