Thursday, May 14, 2009

Statto

"How does it feel to join Herbert Sutcliffe, Denis Compton, Geoffrey Boycott and Graham Gooch as the only English batsmen to score centuries in three successive Test innings?" an interviewer asked a bemused Ravi Bopara after today's play. Clearly it was news to him that he'd accomplished this quite impressive but rather obscure feat, but he managed to come up with a nice answer. I was impressed.

And it put me in the mood to find some statistic I could use to motivate myself to do some memory training - I like achieving statistics. And here's a good one - from the Austrian championship in November 2004 to the World Championship in August 2006, Clemens Mayer won seven consecutive memory competitions. I'm on five at the moment, so if I was to win the German and UK championships this summer, a world championship win would beat that record. Woo!

Of course, winning the German championship is pretty unlikely, since they don't generally do English translations, but it's still something to aim for...

1 comment:

tzvika said...

Hello Ben, I accidentally stumbled upon your blog while searching for memory material. my name is Tzvika i'm 19 years old and from Israel .
I've been reading Domini'cs book and discovering the wonderful world of memory (my raw memory is lame).I would be most greatful if you could guide me on how to train my memory and on the current methods competitors use on the WMC. since you are as pro as it gets the advice will be really valuable information . I'm just starting my way and it would really mean much to me. my email is armyman@nana.co.il if you have time please reply.