Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ewwwwww. Seriously, ewwwwww.

The official reason I don't wear contact lenses is that my astigmatism means I'd have to wear fiddly and expensive toric lenses and I'm not made of money. The actual reason is that I'm horrifically squeamish about touching my eyes. The very idea makes me shudder. However, while I was having my eyes tested last week, the optician persuaded me to try the free five-day trial they've got going at the moment, so I went in today for a fitting. If you have 'fittings' with contact lenses, and you probably don't.

The contact-lenses-optician examined my eyes in detail, got a pair of lenses and said "Okay, now I'll put them in for you." But despite my best efforts, every time she attempted to poke the little things into my eyes, I found myself jerking my head away violently. I thought I deserved congratulations for not hitting her with the eye-testing machinery and squealing "Get away from my eyes!", but she didn't seem terribly impressed. So they resorted to plan B, which was getting someone to show me how to put them in myself.

After a lot of time and difficulty, I got the things in and (after even more time and unpleasantness) out again, but by that point I'd decided that there wasn't any need to carry on with the rest of the trial. I mean, ewww, touching my eyes! Ewww! I'll stick with my glasses, thank you very much. Astigmatism, you see. Toric lenses. Cost a fortune and you have to get the top part pointing up and the bottom part down, and who has time for that in a morning?

5 comments:

Ian said...

Yep, I don't like the idea of contact lenses either! I too will stick with my glasses! And as for that laser eye surgery - forget it! A laser beam? In the eye? Are they MAD???

unknown said...

No! Don't touch your eyes, Zoomy - let alone put anything in them! What's wrong with glasses, for flip's sake!

Anonymous said...

@ anonymous: You can't see in the rain, and they steam up when you move between areas of wildly different temperature. Plus if you spend a lot of time kneeling in the mud looking down they slide off. But apart from that there's nothing wrong with glasses at all! Might be a pain trying to put them in in a tent, but contact lenses are amazing!

SamT said...

stick to glasses!
One reason I didn't take up my placement to train as a nurse many many moons ago was I wasn't touching any one's eyes!
So when I read i use glasses and should I have to wear them all the time, so be it!
Son had laser and he's now has perfect vision but I am too chicken for that as well!!

Anonymous said...

Like all the other timid spectacle-wearers say: WAHHHHH!