Thursday, November 08, 2007

Pigmeat

I always giggle at the sound of the German footballer Bastian Schweinsteiger's name when I see him on telly. I expect I'm mistranslating and his surname doesn't really mean Pig-Climber, but that's what it sounds like to me, and it makes me laugh. I have a sophisticated sense of humour.

It also reminds me of the olden days when I worked for Adams and saw "hand raised pork pies" among our product list. That always made me think of happy little baby pork pies, gambolling in the fields and being hand-reared by loving farmers. Really, I have a strange mind.

1 comment:

Boris said...

If you translate it Word by Word, Schweinsteiger means pig climber.

His name sounds funny to me too and there are more than enough jokes about that name anyway.

The real origin of his name is not vulgar. "Stiege" is an old-german word for "Stall", so a "Schweinsteiger" worked in a pigpen.